Links to other useful and relevant web sites
We are keen to ensure the only links we provide here are of genuine value to our members. We only link to sites at our discretion, typically those hosting historical and archaeological content relevant to the Derbyshire Peak and Mining.
- Stoney Middleton Heritage Centre Community Group – This village web site includes some coverage of the local mines and there is a project under way to build a Heritage & Visitor centre on the site of the Lords Lead Smelting Cupola and styled to suit.
- Castleton Historical Society – CHS is responsible for “The Castleton Museum”, an accredited museum housed at Castleton Visitor Centre, Buxton Rd. The Centre is a joint partnership between The Peak District National Park Authority and CHS.
- Bal Maidens & Mining Women is an interesting web site which includes information about the work of women and girls in UK mines with this page covering those in Derbyshire.
- The Derbyshire Archaeological Society runs talks and visits on topics of local and national interest as well as producing some high quality informative publications.
- Chatsworth Archives include a wealth of material relating to lead mining & the Barmote Court records as well as much more about the estates. Rendering these records into digital format is a massive and ongoing undertaking, at present all that’s online is effectively a scant “table of contents”. Several PDMHS members have worked in the archives identifying documents of interest, cataloguing and transcribing text to digital formats. Read more in PDMHS Newsletter 172
- Black marble quarry in the IoM, unlike the Black Marble mines at Ashford-in-the-Water, still active. See an item in newsletter 172 .
Web Hosting: a lot of effort went into identifying the best web hosting service for our needs. If you need hosting too please use this link . We’ll get a small reward and you will get what we assess to be the best value WordPress hosting service. By the way, pay for 36 months to get approx. 3 years for the price of one.