Apart from a small number of paid staff who run the Mining Museum, PDMHS is a voluntary organisation run entirely by its members.
Membership rates and application forms are available to download here.
In addition to knowing that your membership fees are helping to preserve and protect the Peak District’s mining heritage, membership has numerous other benefits. These include:
- Our popular Peak District Heritage walks are a chance for you to meet other people interested in mining and industrial archaeology. Our guided walks are led by people with extensive local knowledge and are free – even volunteer organisations commonly charge upwards of £4 each for comparable walks.
- Our underground trips into Peak District mines and caves are only available to PDMHS members, and normally free. If you don’t have the necessary equipment, we can often arrange to loan you some. The typical commercial cost of a single introductory caving trip is about £80.
- Free training, for example SRT (Single Rope Technique for climbing mine shafts). The typical cost of comparable commercial training might be well over £100.
- The Society’s prestigious magazine Mining History is published twice a year, and is free to members. The price to non-members is £10 per copy.
- Free quarterly newsletter by email or post.
- Free entry to the Peak District lead Mining museum in Matlock Bath (normally £4).
- Free guided tours of Temple Mine (normally £4.50).
- Free access to our extensive archive of mining and mining-related resources, including documents, photographs, mine surveys, plans etc.
- Expert help with your own researches.
- Free or reduced-rate entry to events such as film shows, talks, slideshows.
- Use of the Society’s Field Centre at Magpie Mine (including for overnight stays) at very attractive rates.
- Third party liability insurance for members while engaged in Society activities.
Many landowners require that you have personal BCA insurance if you wish to visit mines and caves on their property. PDMHS liability insurance does not include cover for underground trips, but we can arrange cover for an introductory underground visit. Regular underground explorers will need to obtain individual cover – and we can help obtain this at a reasonable cost.