If you don’t yet have a password or have forgotten it use the “forgotten password” facility on the login form. That will send a new password to your email account.
Password didn’t arrive:
The password will get sent immediately however there are several reasons why you might not get the notification.
- Temporary faults and congestion on the internet can cause delays. Check that other emails are reaching your account OK, if so the password email should arrive within a couple of hours.
- All email systems apply junk mail filtering. Unfortunately many of the free email accounts provided by broadband services are badly configured and, in their enthusiasm to block junk mail, also discard some messages you’d like to receive.
- Ideally they won’t discard junk but put it in a junk-mail folder from where you can recover it. (Typically they will hold junk for a month then discard it).
- Your email service may allow you to “whitelist” email addresses to prevent mail from those addresses being treated as junk. Add email@example.com to the whitelist then use the “forgotten password” link to get a password sent.
- Poorer email systems neither use a junk folder nor allow whitelisting. The best solution is to get a better email account (e.g. Gmail.com or Outlook.com). The short-term fix is to email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a password. As your email service has proved unreliable, provide a phone number for notification.
- If you have changed email address since you completed your membership form, email the current address to email@example.com webmaster (this will send the notification to the webmaster to check/update the address membership secretary to ensure other PDMHS emails are going to your correct current address).
- Might you have provided an incorrect email address on your membership application form or perhaps it was ambiguous (it’s easy to get transcription confusions in respect of things like the letter O and the number zero). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have the email address checked.
Login credentials don’t work:
The login system we implemented is used extensively and has proven reliable. If logging in using your email address and the provided password doesn’t work it will be because of an error entering them. The password is the more likely cause of errors. As the password is concealed on the login form it’s hard to spot errors. The easiest fix is to cut and paste the password from your password notification email.
The password is garbage, how can I be expected to remember it?
Passwords are supposed to be difficult, they protect you but, more importantly to PDMHS, they help keep the bad guys out of our web server. The best solution is to use a password vault like LastPass or KeyPass (free) to store all your passwords. Those products themselves need to be protected by a very strong password but then make all your internet logins lot easier and more secure.
You CAN change your password once logged in
I forgot my password, can I get a reminder?
No. The password is only ever known to you, the copy stored on the web server is heavily encrypted, even GCHQ would take a while to break it. Instead use the “forgotten password” link to get a new password.