The login system we have implemented is used by many thousands of web sites and has proven reliable. There remain several reasons outside our control why you might still experience problems. Please work your way through the notes below before asking for help.
If you don’t yet have a password or have forgotten it, use the “forgotten password” facility on the login form. That will send a new password to your email account. It can take a couple of weeks for new members or email address change details to be added to the system, try again in a few days.
We only have current (legible!) email addresses for 60% of members, if yours is not recognised update us by using firstname.lastname@example.org
Password didn’t arrive:
The password will get sent immediately and should arrive within a few minutes however there are several reasons why you might not get the notification.
- All email systems apply spam/junk mail filtering. Unfortunately many email systems, in their enthusiasm to block junk mail, also discard some messages you’d like to receive.
Mail originating from computer programs such as our password reset program is particularly susceptible to this.
- Ideally they won’t discard suspected junk but put it in a junk-mail folder from where you can recover it.
- Your email service should allow you to “whitelist” email addresses to prevent mail from those addresses being treated as junk. An example is shown at the bottom of this page. Add email@example.com to the filters then use the “forgotten password” link to get a password sent.
- Poorer email systems neither use a junk folder nor allow whitelisting. The best solution is to get a better email account (e.g. Gmail.com or Outlook.com). If all else fails email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting assistance.
- Temporary faults and congestion on the internet can cause delays, rarely more than a couple of hours. Check that other emails are reaching your account OK.
- If you have changed email address since you completed your membership form, try the old address if you still have access to that account. Otherwise email the current address to email@example.com and include your postal address and membership number if possible (this will send the notification to all the relevant PDMHS officers webmaster to check/update the details they have on file).
- Might you have provided an incorrect email address on your membership application form? or perhaps it was ambiguous (it’s easy to get transcription confusions in respect of things like the letter O and the number zero). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have the email address checked.
Login credentials don’t work:
If logging in using your email address and the provided password doesn’t work the most likely cause is an error entering them. The password is the more likely cause of errors. As the password is concealed on the login form it’s hard to spot errors. The easiest fix is to cut and paste the password from your password notification email.
A space before or after the password may cause it to be rejected.
If the email address you enter on the “forgotten password” page does not match the one we have on file the response will be “No user found with that email address.”
The password is garbage, how can I be expected to remember it?
Passwords are supposed to be difficult, they protect you but, more importantly to PDMHS, they help keep the bad guys off our web server. The best solution is to use a password vault like LastPass or KeyPass (free) to store all your passwords. Those products can make all your internet logins lot easier and more secure.
You can change your password once logged in, see this page.
I forgot my password, can I get a reminder?
You can only get a fresh new password. The password is only ever known to you, the copy stored on the web server is heavily encrypted, even GCHQ would take a while to break it. Use the “forgotten password” link to get a new password.
Email filter example (Outlook)